10-year-old suffers 2nd-degree burns after smart watch explodes on his arm

A ten-year-old boy in New Taipei City is likely to require skin graft surgery after a smart watch he was wearing exploded and caught fire, Friday, June 30.

According to reports, the boy was on his way to a cram school in Tucheng District Friday afternoon when his watch suddenly exploded and instantly ignited. A street vendor immediately came to the boy’s assistance and applied ointment to the resulting wound, and the boy continued to the cram school. Once he arrived at school, teachers judged his injuries to be serious and called an ambulance.

moment watch explodes caught on cctv
CCTV camera captures moment watch explodes.

Doctors at Tucheng Hospital found that the boy had suffered second-degree burns to his right wrist and first-degree burns to fingers on his left hand. After first aid treatment it was judged that the patient may require skin graft surgery.

A New Taipei City Fire Department spokesperson said that the quality of smartwatches available online is variable, and consumers should be careful to purchase certified and reliable brands in order to avoid spontaneous combustion or explosion hazards.

smartwatch that exploded and burned boy's arm
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.