Woman bitten by cobra while cooking in the kitchen

A woman in Taichung City was bitten by a cobra while she was cooking lunch in her kitchen, yesterday, June 25.

Taichung City fire bureau received a report of a snakebite in Qingshui District at 10:43 am. Fire bureau ambulance officers found that a 64-year-old woman named Hsu had been bitten on her foot by an unidentified snake.

Ms Hsu said that she had just put a pot of water on the stove to boil when she felt a sharp pain on her right big toe.

Family members believed that Ms Hsu had been bitten by an umbrella snake, or perhaps a grass snake. However, firefighters searched the kitchen and found a cobra under the kitchen counter. The cobra was around 60 centimeters long.

Hsu was rushed to Tung’s Taichung MetroHarbor Hospital where she was treated with antivenom. Hsu was conscious with normal vital signs upon arrival at the hospital, and was kept in the general ward for observation after treatment.

Taichung City Fire Bureau said that in hot weather snakes will seek shade and will sometimes enter homes. The fire bureau spokesperson urged the public not to use brooms or other items to chase the snake away, as it may be provoked and become aggressive. Call 119 and let a professional handle the case, the spokesperson said.

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.