Tesla charging station emits smoke in Hsinchu Science Park after transformer box catches fire

Firefighters suspect a short circuit was the cause of an incident of a Tesla charging station suddenly emitting a pall of white smoke this afternoon, November 8, at Hsinchu Science Park.

According to ET Today, Firefighters responded to a report at around 5:00 pm, and after arriving at the scene, immediately called state-owned power company, Taipower, to cut off the electricity supply.

After the power was cut the smoke gradually reduced in volume, and firefighters cooled the power supply unit down with water.

Fire investigators found that a transformer box had caught fire, and the fire had not spread from the source. The internal components of the transformer box were burnt.

The fire department said that it was the first case of an electric car charging station fire incident that they had encountered, and suspect that a short circuit may have caused the fire.

However, a more detailed investigation will be carried out by Tesla.

No vehicles were being charged at the time, according to ET Today.

According to additional research by Taiwan English News, the charging station is a Tesla Supercharger.

A similar incident occurred at a Tesla Supercharger in New Jersey, USA, in November, 2019. A subsequent investigation determined that the fault was not an issue of the charging station itself, but caused by the Jersey Central Power & Light company’s transformer, Philly Voice reported.

a Tesla charging station smolders after a fire in a transformer box in Hsinchu Fire Park, Taiwan
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding or support. If you like what you have just read, please show your support by liking or following on Facebook or Twitter, or subscribing to Taiwan English News to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, or comment below.

Comment and discuss this story

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.