Laundromat gas explosion injures 4 in Tainan City

Four people were injured in Tainan City when a gas explosion and fire destroyed a self-service laundry in Tainan City yesterday evening, November 7.

The Tainan City Fire Bureau received reports of an explosion and fire at a laundromat on Da-ren Street, Yongkang District at 9:29 pm. Twenty-six vehicles and 56 personnel were dispatched to the scene of the explosion.

Three men and one woman were found injured. The most seriously injured was a 65-year-old man who suffered burns to 45% of his body.

The laundry was located in a steel-sheet structure. The fire, which was extinguished at 9:57 pm, also caused damage to adjacent businesses.

The Tainan City Economic Development Bureau said that the laundromat was operating illegally.

Fire investigators found four 50 kg gas cylinders linked in a series. The gas unit breached regulations which calls for a gas supply in excess of 80 kg to be located outdoors in a ventilated area. If a gas supply exceeding 80 kg for a business, or 40 kg for a household must be stored indoors, regulations require safety management measures such as fire extinguishers, gas leak alarms, and emergency cut off devices.

The managers of the laundromat are liable to receive a fine of between NT$20,000 and NT$100,000, the fire bureau said.

laundromat destroyed by gas explosion and fire.
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.