Four people were injured in Tainan City when a gas explosion and fire destroyed a self-service laundry in Tainan City yesterday evening, November 7.
The Tainan City Fire Bureau received reports of an explosion and fire at a laundromat on Da-ren Street, Yongkang District at 9:29 pm. Twenty-six vehicles and 56 personnel were dispatched to the scene of the explosion.
Three men and one woman were found injured. The most seriously injured was a 65-year-old man who suffered burns to 45% of his body.
The laundry was located in a steel-sheet structure. The fire, which was extinguished at 9:57 pm, also caused damage to adjacent businesses.
The Tainan City Economic Development Bureau said that the laundromat was operating illegally.
Fire investigators found four 50 kg gas cylinders linked in a series. The gas unit breached regulations which calls for a gas supply in excess of 80 kg to be located outdoors in a ventilated area. If a gas supply exceeding 80 kg for a business, or 40 kg for a household must be stored indoors, regulations require safety management measures such as fire extinguishers, gas leak alarms, and emergency cut off devices.
The managers of the laundromat are liable to receive a fine of between NT$20,000 and NT$100,000, the fire bureau said.
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding or support. If you like what you have just read, please show your support by liking or following on Facebook or Twitter, or subscribing to Taiwan English News to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, or comment below.