Mother and Son Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in un-Ventilated Apartment

A hot water system installed on an enclosed balcony is the suspected cause of death of a 40 year old-man and his 62 year-old mother in Hsinchu City this evening, December 22.

Police and firefighters were called to an apartment on Jianmei Road at around 7:00pm after the occupants failed to respond to calls by a relative, who then went to the apartment to check on the pair. After nobody answered the door, the relative called 110.

After breaking down the door, firefighters found the man, who had lost vital signs in the bathroom. The shower was still running. The woman was found laying in bed, also without breathing and heartbeat.

Both victims were given CPR and rushed to hospital but were later declared dead.

Due to the high concentration of carbon monoxide in the apartment, 7 firefighters suffered dizziness, nausea, and vomiting during the rescue attempt, and went to hospital for a medical examination.

A preliminary investigation points to a gas water heater installed on an enclosed balcony, and carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause of death. All the windows and doors of the apartment were closed.

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.