Gogoro battery swap station explodes and catches fire in Kaohsiung City

A battery exchange station for a popular brand of electric scooter exploded and caught fire at a gas station in Kaohsiung City this morning, but fortunately there were no casualties.

Kaohsiung City Fire Department received reports that a Gogoro battery station was on fire at a gas station on Zhongzheng 4th Road in Qianjin District at 10:58 am. A gas station employee immediately attempted to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher, and police from the Kaohsiung City Police Station opposite the gas station quickly rushed out to direct traffic and keep the public away from the danger.

KCFD said that six vehicles and 11 firefighters were dispatched to the scene, and the fire was extinguished around 12 minutes after firefighters arrived.

firefighter extinguishes battery swap station fire in Kaohsiung City

According to the Gogoro website, as of March 2024 the company has more than 12,000 battery swap stations in Taiwan to charge a total of 1.3 million batteries. The company said that the Gogoro battery exchange system has a complete safety protection system and 24-hour automatic detection and real-time warning notification system. Immediately on receiving reports of the accident, power to the station was cut off from the central control center, and staff were dispatched to the scene.

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.