[Picture: “I am Yonghe” Facebook group]
Two upstairs residents were hospitalized with smoke inhalation injuries after a junk-filled residence went up in flames in the middle of the night, proving a headache for firefighters who found it difficult to get to the source of the fire.
Residents of Fu-he Road in Yonghe District, New Taipei City, woke up this morning to find their street piled with rubbish and charred pieces of junk pulled out of the home by exhausted firefighters.
According to Apple Daily, the apartment is owned by an elderly person who resides in a nursing home.
Firefighters were called to the scene at around 2:00am this morning to find thick smoke pouring out of the first-floor residence. Firefighters quickly evacuated residents in the building, but were unable to enter the house due to piles of garbage and useless junk that had been hoarded over many years.
The firefighters had to drag the garbage out of the house to reach the source of the fire.
Members of the “I am Yonghe” Facebook group uploaded pictures of the piles of garbage that littered the street, and likened it to a tsunami disaster zone.
One picture showed an exhausted firefighter squatting against a wall with head in hands, leading people to express sympathy for the exhausted firefighters who had to work through the cold and rainy night to keep residents safe.
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding or support. If you like what you have just read, please show your support by liking or following on Facebook or Twitter, or subscribing to Taiwan English News to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, or comment below.