Family of Four Incinerated in Own Home: Fire Department Cautions

The Taipei City Government Fire Department issued a press release this morning urging people to install smoke detectors in their homes, and escape gates in security bars after a family of four died in a blaze in the early hours of the morning today, October 29.

At around 3:00am, a fire broke out on the third floor of a building on Yanping Road and quickly spread in the uninhabited apartment used for storage. The Lai family were trapped in their fourth floor apartment which also erupted into flames. Neighbors heard calls for help but by the time firefighters arrived the calls had stopped.

After extinguishing the fire, firefighters found the charred remains of Mr Lai, 43, his 36 year-old wife, and two children aged 7 and 5.

The fire department press release noted that the apartment did not have fire alarms installed, had wooden interior fittings which caused the blaze to spread quickly, and had security bars which made it impossible to escape.

barred window after fire
A barred window next to which a woman’s body was found after a fire gutted an apartment, killing a family of four in Taipei City, October 29, 2017.

Related Video

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.