Trail closed after 4 hikers stung by hornets, one dies

A popular hiking trail in Ruifang District has been temporarily closed after four people were stung by Asian giant hornets in two separate incidents this weekend.

A 73-year-old man named Lin and his 62-year-old wife, named Yang, were attacked by hornets while walking on the Sandiaoling Trail on September 24. Both were rushed to Keelung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, but Ms Yang suffered an allergic reaction and organ failure and died yesterday, September 25. Mr Lin remains unconscious in the intensive care unit where doctors are attempting to clear his body of toxins via kidney dialysis.

Following the attack on September 24, the Ruifang District Office closed the trail and placed a handwritten sign at the entrance notifying people of the presence of hornets at the first suspension bridge and warning them not to enter.

sign warning people of hornets

However, at around 11:00 am on September 25, two woman were stung on the trail. Both woman were treated at the Ruifang Miner’s Hospital and released after treatment.

Personnel from the Department of Animal Protection and Epidemic Prevention removed the hornet hive this morning, September 26. However, Ruifang District Office said that the trail will remain closed for around one week and a safety assessment will be made before reopening.

hornet hive removal
Hive removal. Picture: Ruifang District Office.
Asian giant hornets

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.