Residential gas explosion leaves 1 dead, 2 injured in New Taipei City

An elderly woman died, and her caregiver and a neighbor were injured, after a gas explosion tore through an apartment in Banqiao District today, February 21.

New Taipei City Fire Department received reports of a blast followed by a fire in a first floor apartment in a lane off Xianmin Boulevarde at 12:39 pm. Twenty-five vehicles and 68 personnel were dispatched to the scene.

A 34-year-old foreign caregiver and a 20-year-old Taiwanese man were found injured and rushed to hospital. Firefighters took around 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, and found the remains of an 88-year-old woman, named Su, inside the apartment.

According to the investigation so far, the foreign nurse, named Ani, smelled gas, and not knowing what to do, called on a neighbor to help. The neighbor, named Chen, had just followed Ani back into the apartment when the explosion occurred.

Ani suffered burns to 40% of her body and remained conscious, while Chen suffered from lacerations described as “minor injuries.”

The cause of the explosion and fire is suspected to be a leaking gas cylinder in the kitchen of the apartment.

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.