Man arrested for planting, detonating bomb that injured man in TSMC carpark

A man suspected of manufacturing, planting, and detonating an improvised explosive device in the Hsinchu Science Park, injuring one person, was arrested today following a two-week-long investigation.

At around 5:00 pm, January 14, a 37-year-old man, named Chen, working for an outsourcing company at the TSMC factory, finished work and was about to commute home on his motor scooter when he found an unknown package in the front console of the scooter. When Chen picked up the package it exploded in his hands. Chen lost the little finger of his left hand, and was injured on both hands, his chest, and his chin.

Chen was rushed to hospital and treated for his injuries, which were fortunately not life threatening.

Police investigators found evidence of a homemade bomb at the scene of the explosion, including gunpowder, an electronic fireworks detonator, and batteries.

Using surveillance camera footage, investigators identified a 34-year-old man, named Lai, as the sole suspect in the case. Chen works as a foreman for the outsourcing company, and Lai is one of Chen’s subordinates.

A search of Lai’s home uncovered gunpowder, batteries, detonation devices, and a remote control devoce. Police arrested Lai, and after interrogation Lai was handed over to the District Prosecutor to be charged on suspicion of attempted murder, injury, intimidation and other offences. Prosecutors applied to the District Court for permission to keep Lai in detention prior to his trial for the offences. In applying for the detention order, prosecutors said that Lai was likely to destroy evidence or repeat the crime.

The prosecution pointed out that Lai Nan knew that he could not control the explosive power of the bomb, and still put the explosive in Chen Nan’s motorcycle storage basket. Lai watched from a distance of about 30 meters from the motorcycle, and immediately detonated the explosive with the remote control when Chen picked it up.

However, after Lai Nan was arrested, he refused to explain his motive for the crime, and the prosecution discovered that Lai Nan had deleted the contents of his mobile phone as an attempt to destroy evidence. 

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.