Three people sought medical treatment for smoke inhalation, and more than 500 guests, visitors, and staff were evacuated from a luxury hot springs hotel in Yilan County last night after a fire broke out in a basement-level kitchen.
Yilan County Fire Department received reports of a fire at the Hotel Royal Chiao Hsi in Jiaoxi Township at around 7:30pm yesterday, Thursday, March 9.
The hotel’s marketing and public relations manager told media that all 438 guests, 30 restaurant customers, and 98 employees were evacuated as soon as the fire broke out. Hotel staff arranged accommodation for the guests in other hotels in the district with all expenses borne by the Hotel Royal. The Hotel Royal will be closed for three days for cleanup and repairs.
According to the the preliminary investigation by the Yilan County Fire Department, the fire is suspected to have started when oil in a pan on a stovetop overheated and caught fire. The fire then spread through a smoke exhaust pipe due to built up oil residue.
Firefighters brought the fire under control at 7:42 pm, and it was completely extinguished at 7:50 pm.
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.