Firefighters rescued a girl trapped in a residence on fire in Kaohsiung today, but one firefighter lost his life due to smoke inhalation.
At around 11:40am this morning, the fire department received reports of a fire at a 4 storey house in Qieding District of Kaohsiung City. According to reports in Apple Daily and other Chinese language media sources, the fire started in a kitchen, and was not intense, but generated a lot of smoke.
When firefighters arrived at the scene they were alerted to the fact a 12 year-old girl was trapped in the building.
At 11:52am, four firefighters entered the building from the front door and went upstairs to search for the girl. Three of the firefighters turned right, while the fourth firefighter, Tsai Bei-sheng (蔡倍昇), turned left after ascending the stairs to search rooms in that direction.
The group of three firefighters located the girl and exited the building by ladder via a balcony at 12:05pm. Tsai remained in the building and confirmed his position on the second floor by radio communication at 12:08pm saying that there were no abnormalities. At 12:12pm, Tsai called by radio that he had lost his way in the building and needed support.
A rescue team entered the building and located Tsai at 12:25pm. Tsai’s breathing apparatus was out of oxygen and he was unconscious without signs of breathing or heartbeat. Tsai was rushed to Tainan City Hospital but was declared dead at 1:37pm.
Firefighter Tsai’s wife rushed to the hospital with their one year-old son, only to find her 34 year-old husband had passed away.
Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding or support. If you like what you have just read, please show your support by liking or following on Facebook or Twitter, or subscribing to Taiwan English News to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, or comment below.