Missing Hiker Rescued After 37 Day Ordeal

A hiker who made cellphone contact with rescuers 6 days ago after being missing 31 days, was finally rescued from a remote mountain ridge in Hualian County this morning. He had been without food for 8 days.

See previous article: Hiker Makes Contact After 31 Days Missing

The 29 year old hiker, Lee Minghan (李明翰) set off on a cross-island solo hike May 13. Lee’s last contact with his family by phone was made on May 15.

On May 20, Lee was injured in a fall and was unable to walk. Trapped in heavily forested valley, and facing rising waters after heavy rain, Lee eventually decided to crawl on his hands and knees up a to the top of a 2,200 meter ridge where he reasoned he would have a better chance of being spotted by helicopter search and rescue.

After Lee reached the top, he found he had a cellphone signal and was able to make contact with rescue services. On the morning of June 14, Lee called rescue services and told them he suspected he had a fractured leg, and had run out of food 2 days previously.

Although rescuers dispatched a helicopter, poor visibility and wind prevented them finding Lee, and bad weather that set in prevented further attempts to reach him by air. A ground party set off on foot the following day, expecting to take 5 days to reach him.

The rescue party made contact with Lee at 9:17am this morning. Lee appeared weak but conscious. A Black Hawk helicopter was dispatched to Hualian for the rescue and arrived the Hualian Airforce Base at 11:30 to refuel and standby while the rescue team prepared a landing area. Lee was airlifted from the ridge at 1:55pm. He was taken to Tzu Chi hospital for treatment.

Emergency Department physician Doctor Zhang Xinshuo (張新說) said Lee was stable, clearly conscious and able to communicate. X-ray examination showed that he had fractures in both legs – his left lower leg and right femur. CT scans later also identified cervical spine injuries and pneumonothorax issues.

A photographer who traveled with the rescue team, “Mountain Goat,” wrote on the “Snow Ram” Facebook page that this rescue will go down as a classic in Taiwan mountain rescue history. Mountain Goat praised Lee as a lover of the mountains, and rescue team members for their perseverance.

rescued hiker on stretcher
Hiker Lee Minghan, who set off on a cross-island hike 37 days ago is seen being taken out of a rescue cradle after being airlifted from a remote location in the Central Mountain Range. Picture: Liberty Times Network
Nokia 105
Lee managed to make phone contact after 30 days with a Nokia 105.

Many readers on various media outlets comment and Facebook pages asked how a cellphone can still have power after 30 days. A reader on the Taiwan Reporter Facebook page wrote “It must be an old Nokia.” It was revealed today that Lee’s phone is indeed a Nokia, although a 105 model manufactured in 2015.

Taiwan English News is an independent publication with no corporate funding. If you found this article informative, and would like to support my work, please buy me a coffee or support me on Patreon. Subscribe to Taiwan English News for free to receive the latest news via email. Advertising queries are welcome. Share, like, comment below.

Comment and discuss this story: While all opinions are welcome, comments will not be approved if they contain inflammatory speech.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.