New Year Fireworks Suspected Cause of Fire in Miaoli County

[Picture: appropriated from Apple Daily, source unattributed] Two adjacent recycling centers went up in flames shortly after midnight in Miaoli County, New Years Day, 2018. Residents suspected fireworks were the cause of the conflagration, but the fire department said investigations were ongoing. At around 1:00 am this morning, firefighters responded to calls reporting a fire in Zhunan Township. Large amounts of waste paper, plastics, and other combustible materials created an intense blaze that spread quickly. Due to much of the

Read more

7 Injured in Restaurant Gas Explosion

[Picture: A man is seen rescuing his 3 year-old daughter after a gas explosion in Changhua County.] Seven people were injured, including a 3 year-old girl, when leaking gas at a table in a hot pot restaurant erupted into flames in Changhua County this evening, Thursday, November 9. Video monitors recorded the moment at around 6:00pm, when a staff member was attempting to change a gas bottle for the tabletop gas burner. The staff member looks nervous as he anxiously

Read more

Family of Four Incinerated in Own Home: Fire Department Cautions

The Taipei City Government Fire Department issued a press release this morning urging people to install smoke detectors in their homes, and escape gates in security bars after a family of four died in a blaze in the early hours of the morning today, October 29. At around 3:00am, a fire broke out on the third floor of a building on Yanping Road and quickly spread in the uninhabited apartment used for storage. The Lai family were trapped in their

Read more

Old Man Burning Ghost Money Dies after Falling into Fire

[Cover picture: United Daily News] An 88 year old man who lost his balance and fell into a fire as he was burning ghost money 2 days ago has passed away after his family agreed to remove him from life-support systems yesterday, September 19. Mr Lin was burning ghost money, also known as “joss paper” or “gold paper,” as an offering to spirits in the lead-up to the closing of the gates of the realm of the dead, which occurs

Read more

Lithium Battery causes Fire: 2 Dead

A building was destroyed after a lithium ion battery being repaired in the first floor electric bicycle business went up in flames. Because there were many flammable substances in the store, an intense fire quickly engulfed the business. Four men managed to make it to the roof from where they were rescued by firefighters, but two men died in the building.  

Read more