Gas Explosion in Kaohsiung Restaurant Injures 20

Up to 20 people were injured, with three in intensive care, after a gas explosion at a bento restaurant in Xiaogang District, Kaohsiung City this evening, February 1. Liberty Times reports that a massive blast plunged the restaurant into a sea of fire at around 6:50 pm. Glass fragments showered the street, and the windows of nearby vehicles shattered. Video uploaded by the public to social media showed an intense blaze that ensued after the explosion. Both Liberty Times and

Read more

New Year Fireworks Suspected Cause of Fire in Miaoli County

[Picture: appropriated from Apple Daily, source unattributed] Two adjacent recycling centers went up in flames shortly after midnight in Miaoli County, New Years Day, 2018. Residents suspected fireworks were the cause of the conflagration, but the fire department said investigations were ongoing. At around 1:00 am this morning, firefighters responded to calls reporting a fire in Zhunan Township. Large amounts of waste paper, plastics, and other combustible materials created an intense blaze that spread quickly. Due to much of the

Read more

Taichung Factory Burns All Night

Firefighters in Taichung City battled a blaze in a factory from shortly after 9:00pm last night until the fire was finally extinguished at around 6:15am this morning. The fire bureau received a report of a fire at the Chuang Yuan Precision Machinery factory in Wuri District at around 9:20pm. Nineteen fire appliances and 62 firefighters were dispatched to deal with the blaze. The fire was intense due to the large amount of plastic raw material consisting of plastic granules contained

Read more

6 Foreign Workers Confirmed Dead After Fire in Suspect Factory Dorm

Six Vietnamese workers are confirmed dead after a fire at a factory in Taoyuan in the early hours of this morning, December 14. All six remains were found on what is suspected to be an illegally constructed dormitory on the second floor. The fire broke out at around 2:00am. Preliminary investigations point to an electrical transformer box in the second floor stairway as the ignition point. The staircase appears to have been the only exit from the dormitory. Witnesses said

Read more

Arson Attack Leaves at least One Dead in New Taipei City Blaze

[Breaking News: Rapid updates expected] Witnesses reported seeing petrol bombs thrown at a restaurant in Tucheng District, New Taipei City, before the premises broke into flames that spread to residential apartments in the 5 storey building. Four serious injuries have been reported, including 3 who had lost vital signs at the scene. A 28 year-old woman jumped from a third floor balcony, and was reported to have suffered fractures to her legs, but was conscious after concerned neighbors placed quilts

Read more

9 Dead in Apartment Fire: Arsonist Arrested

At least 9 people died and 2 were injured after an arsonist set fire to timber stacked in a staircase on the 4th floor of an apartment building in Zhonghe District, New Taipei City, yesterday, November 22. A 49 year-old man was arrested this morning after witness reports and CCTV footage identified him as a suspect. As the fire was started in the staircase, residents on the 4th floor, and in an illegally constructed residence on the 5th floor, were

Read more

7 Injured in Restaurant Gas Explosion

[Picture: A man is seen rescuing his 3 year-old daughter after a gas explosion in Changhua County.] Seven people were injured, including a 3 year-old girl, when leaking gas at a table in a hot pot restaurant erupted into flames in Changhua County this evening, Thursday, November 9. Video monitors recorded the moment at around 6:00pm, when a staff member was attempting to change a gas bottle for the tabletop gas burner. The staff member looks nervous as he anxiously

Read more

Family of Four Incinerated in Own Home: Fire Department Cautions

The Taipei City Government Fire Department issued a press release this morning urging people to install smoke detectors in their homes, and escape gates in security bars after a family of four died in a blaze in the early hours of the morning today, October 29. At around 3:00am, a fire broke out on the third floor of a building on Yanping Road and quickly spread in the uninhabited apartment used for storage. The Lai family were trapped in their

Read more

21 Year-old Firefighter Dies Fighting Factory Fire

A young firefighter was found dead by colleagues after entering a factory on fire in Hsinchu County this afternoon. The firefighter was wearing breathing apparatus at the time, and the cause of death has not been established. At around 2:00pm, 21 year-old Lin Yongxuan (林永軒) was on the third floor of the 7 floor factory with another firefighter and a member of staff of Solartech Energy Corp. According to media reports, Lin’s colleague left to replenish his air tank, and

Read more

Two Foreign Students Die in Shilin Apartment Fire

Two foreign students are believed to have died in a 4th-floor roof-top apartment in Shilin District this evening after a fire broke out around 7:00pm. At 8:20pm, firefighters found the bodies of one male and one female. The apartment owner, who owns the 3rd and 4th floor apartments of the building, said he had rented the residence to two foreign students attending Ming Chuan University. Police and firefighters are investigating and attempting to clarify the identities of the deceased and

Read more

Gas Explosion Destroys Restaurant 1 Dead 15 Injured

A gas explosion followed by an intense blaze destroyed several buildings in Taichung shortly after noon today, injuring 15 people and destroying vehicles parked in the street. The explosion happened in a restaurant next to Feng Chia (Fengjia) University at 12:22, when the restaurant and surrounding area was bustling with people on their lunch break. Fire chief Hsiao Huanzhang (蕭煥章) said that according to interviews with restaurant staff, someone was replacing the gas bottles and didn’t shut off a valve,

Read more